Amazon Athena - Please refer to the Athena’s website for instructions on how to download and setup their official driver: Athena ODBC page
RStudio Professional Drivers - RStudio Server Pro, RStudio Connect, or Shiny Server Pro users can download and use RStudio Professional Drivers at no additional charge. These drivers include an ODBC connector for Apache Impala. RStudio delivers standards-based, supported, professional ODBC drivers. Use RStudio Professional Drivers when you run R or Shiny with your production systems. See the RStudio Professional Drivers for more information.
odbc package, in combination with a driver, provides
DBI support and an ODBC connection.
There are settings needed to make a connection:
- Driver - See the Drivers section for setup information
- S3OutputLocation - S3 bucket for Athena output
- AwsRegion - AWS region where the service is available
- AuthenticationType - Use IAM Credentials if using the AWS Access Key and Secret as for credentials
- Schema - Default Schema name to use when interacting with the database
- UID - The AWS Access Key that will be used to connect
- PWD - The AWS Secret that will be used to connect
con <- DBI::dbConnect( odbc::odbc(), Driver = "[your driver's name]", S3OutputLocation = "[your S3 bucket]", AwsRegion = "[your AWS region bucket]", AuthenticationType = "IAM Credentials", Schema = "[your schema's name]", UID = rstudioapi::askForPassword("AWS Access Key"), PWD = rstudioapi::askForPassword("AWS Secret Key") )